Re: [Tails-dev] MAC address 'spoofing' and randomization

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] MAC address 'spoofing' and randomization
Hi,

Boruch Baum wrote (11 Feb 2014 21:56:59 GMT) :
> I recently posted to github a script that adds some intelligence to mac
> address randomization and spoofing.

>     https://github.com/Boruch-Baum/mac_changer_choice

Thanks for letting us know.

> The script's main features above the 'macchanger' binary:

> 1] it won't ever assign a currently invalid vendor string
>    (ie. one not yet allocated by the 'registration authority',
>    the IEEE).

> 2] it can assign a vendor string based upon a scan or a grep within
>    a survey list. The script includes a sample survey of 48 consumer
>    items commonly available in the USA for retail sale in January 2014
>    (mostly laptops, some tablets and other).

This looks very similar to macchiato:
https://github.com/EtiennePerot/macchiato

> I'd welcome feedback and ideas. If this can be helpful to TAILS, that
> would be great.

We've decided against randomizing the vendor bits for now, so right
now, I don't think we can use it. *But* once macchiato or your tool or
something else provides large enough *and well-maintained* lists,
I guess we'll want to reconsider (still, there will be the remaining
problem of the geographical distribution of vendor bits). So I'm happy
to see work being done on this front, and I do encourage you to
collaborate with the macchiato folks, and come up with something
really great that we can use in a few months or so :)

FWIW, our design document regarding MAC spoofing is there:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/MAC_address/