Re: [Tails-dev] Release schedule for Tails 0.23

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Release schedule for Tails 0.23
Hi,

anonym wrote (13 Feb 2014 00:22:37 GMT) :
> 2014-03-17 Firefox 24.4.0 ESR sources are available.

[...]
> In our calendar [1] we have scheduled the release of Tails 0.23 on
> 2014-03-18 but given Mozilla's release schedule [1] that seems
> difficult: the merge date for 24.4.0 ESR is 2014-03-17, i.e. the day
> before the release. Therefore I bumped it by two days.

I'm not sure what these dates really mean on Mozilla's release
schedule. I mean, for the last release, their schedule says merge date
was Feb 3rd, while the sources were available on the Saturday before,
as usual. You could ask on the ESR mailing-list if things are going to
be any different in the future than in the last year or so. But well,
if you want to play it safe, I'm fine with postponing the release
a bit.

> I suppose bumping the release date by only one day instead (to
> 2014-03-19) is viable if I get enough assurances that others can help in
> the testing on 2014-03-18.

I can be there on 17th and 18th.

> OTOH, I like the idea of having two days for
> testing the final release so there's some headroom for dealing with
> last-minute issues, like random bit flips caused by cosmic radiation or
> similar. :)

Right.

> Any opinions on this delayed release, in particular the 1 day vs 2 days
> bump? Once that's settled I'll update our calendar.

Assuming Mozilla don't change their habits, building FF + the ISO
during the week-end, testing on Monday + Tuesday, releasing on
Wednesday would look optimal to me.

(Side note: in any case, given how late the Tor Browser folks start
rebasing their patches etc., I assume we'll once again ship with the
previous version of the patch set + Torbutton.)