Re: [Tails-dev] Mac USB installation warning

Autore: Alan
To: tails-dev
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-dev] Mac USB installation warning
Hi,

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:39:06 -0500
Michael James <kmjjr10@???> wrote:

> Well, I went to try to install Tails on my USB drive manually (
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/installation/manual/mac/index.en.html),
> and I found out something the hard way. You may want to add a warning
> to the end of Step 5, as you do NOT want to attempt to cancel the
> process by closing Terminal before the copy finishes.

Thanks for the feedback. Do others developers think it's worth a
warning?

> The USB drive
> will swap to read-only mode, and I haven't found a way to get it out
> as it resists all attempts to format it and/or change the permissions.

I see no reason why resetting the usb stick, e.g. by filling it with
zeros would fail. Did you try (hoping /dev/zero exists under OS X and
replacing diskX by the right disk):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/diskX

Cheers.