Re: [Tails-dev] Document that Persistence only work with Tai…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Document that Persistence only work with Tails Installer
Hi,

Alan wrote (20 Jan 2014 10:49:03 GMT) :
>> Maybe it should also be
>> mentioned in the *configure persistence* documentation that
>> persistence cannot be setup on the *source/first* USB if you used the
>> manual install method?

> That seems relevant to me. What do you think?

I agree this information is not made visible enough. AFAICT, it's only
conveyed on doc/first_steps/persistence by "If you start Tails from
a USB stick or SD card, you can create a persistent volume in the free
space left on the device by Tails Installer". Perhaps extracting the
bits about "the device must have been created with Tails Installer"
into a note / warning div with special formatting would be enough.
Want to create a ticket about this problem?

OTOH, I'm no fan at all of repeating this info on
doc/first_steps/persistence/configure. If people want to skip the
introduction, fine with me, but then it's not my problem if they're
lacking info and then wasting their own time later on. (Granted, it's
front desk's problem to handle the flow of incoming "the persistent
volume assistant tells me my device was not created with Tails
Installer" email. However, I'd like to try documenting it better
first, before deciding we have to repeat ourselves.)