[Tails-dev] UEFI support: wrapping-up [Was: Please test ISO …

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] UEFI support: wrapping-up [Was: Please test ISO with preliminary UEFI support on both UEFI and BIOS hardware]
Hi,

I have written a technical report of my UEFI research, early test
results and conclusions: https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/UEFI/

Wrapping up the usable test results I've received so far:

  * No regression was reported: the ISO images with UEFI support boot
    at least as well as our non-UEFI ones.

  * 4 different MacBooks (with rEFInd installed) and 3 ThinkPads, that
    are unable to boot a non-UEFI device installed with Tails
    Installer, successfully boot off a UEFI device installed the
    same way.

  * A few laptop PCs that support UEFI now boot Tails just fine in
    UEFI mode, while one had to switch to Legacy BIOS mode previously.

Next steps:

 1. Ship a 64-bit kernel (#5456) in 0.23. I'm committed to lead this
    to a conclusion. Assigned to the 0.23's RM (anonym) for review.

 2. Write documentation for UEFI boot (#6562). I have listed on the
    ticket what (I already know) must be done in this area.
    That's a non-trivial task, and I am not sure we want to tackle it
    (UEFI support is a goal for 2.0) now. But if we can come up with
    a small subset of these tasks that would be good enough to add
    *beta* UEFI support to 0.23, then I'd be very happy. sajolida, it
    would be great if you could have a quick look to evaluate this.

 3. Workaround the syslinux menu display bugs (#6576) I have seen on
    various hardware. Some of these bugs (on Mac) are blocking boot
    entirely, some are merely inconveniences.