Re: [Tails-dev] Openvpn

Author: s7r@sky-ip.org
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Openvpn
On 1/5/2014 12:55 AM, Webie Webie wrote:
> Hi, you should add openvpn to Tails if it possible!
>
> Regards
>
> Max T

This has been discussed before and it has been agreed that a VPN is
not so good for anonymity as some might think. In fact, Tails does not
recommend to use such poor anonymity at all.

Because in some particular cases, an user who know what he is doing,
needs a specific IP address or an IP address in a specific location or
an IP address not listed a as a Tor gateway (such as for checking
online bank account or making payments, etc.) - because of all these I
think a VPN support will be useful in Tails but only for OpenVPN which
is believed to be secure at this moment, not PPTP, L2TP or other.

The manner should be the same like Unsafe Browser, meaning the user
has to be warned about the risk he is exposing too and I think the VPN
should be used only over the Tor network, never straight connections
with real IP address. Just my thoughts, experts here can and will take
the correct decision.

- --
PGP Public key: http://www.sky-ip.org/s7r@sky-ip.org.asc
ICQ #: 556561918