Re: [Tails-dev] Building binaries for use in tails

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Building binaries for use in tails
David Wolinsky wrote (23 Dec 2013 20:13:28 GMT) :
> What is the ideal build environment for building binaries that will be run
> in Tails? Would a squeeze chroot in addition to the tails apt sources be
> sufficient.

Thank you for asking. A Squeeze chroot would be enough for quick
experiments. For basically anything else, we want a proper Debian
package, that must be part of Debian unless it is not relevant
for Debian.

> I'm working on a project to extend Tails to use virtualization similar to
> whonix

:)

> and need to build a tool called redsocks written using C.
> https://github.com/darkk/redsocks .. it is in the latest Debian but not in
> squeeze.

Then, what we need is a backport for Squeeze. I've just tried to build
one based on Wheezy's 0.4+dfsg-1, and it was trivial (for a Debian
developer); I just had to make the build-dependency on libevent >= 2.0
explicit, as the build fails when built against Squeeze's libevent
1.4. Good news is that I've uploaded a libevent 2.0 backport for
Squeeze a while ago :)

>From this point,

1. either we think it would benefit Debian users to be able to use
this backport => I'll upload the package to the official
squeeze-backports archive;

2. or we don't => we'll to carry the backport in our own APT
repository => I'll create a dedicated suite and push the package
there, once you tell me the name of the feature/* branch you need
this in.

Given Squeeze is nearly EOL and redsocks as a pretty low popcon [1],
I tend to prefer #2. What do you think?

[1] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=redsocks