[Tails-dev] NX bit [was: Please review'n'merge feature/amd64…

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Alan
To: tails-dev
Alte Treads: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/amd64-kernel (#5456)
Betreff: [Tails-dev] NX bit [was: Please review'n'merge feature/amd64-kernel (#5456)]
Hi,

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 18:02:54 +0100 intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> shipping a 64-bit kernel is a pre-requisite for UEFI support, as many
> (if not all) 64-bit EFI firmwares don't support booting a 32-bit
> kernel, and we won't be supporting any (rare, and mostly obsolete)
> 32-bit UEFI hardware.
>
> The feature/amd64-kernel branch implements this: it replaces our good
> old 686-pae kernel with a 64-bit one, and adjusts various pieces of
> documentation and the test suite (I've not tested this part yet, still
> lacking a suitable setup) accordingly.
>
> Note that the code bits of this branch have been in experimental for
> many weeks now.
>
> Drawback: possibly some UX degradation inside VirtualBox, see ticket.
> But the VirtualBox guest modules have been broken since March, and
> anyway it seems obvious to me that if we had to choose between
> supporting running Tails as a guest inside VirtualBox, or running it
> on UEFI hardware, we would choose the latter.

If I'm not mistaken, this will remove NX bit protection on 32 bits only
CPUs supporting PAE and NX. Such hardware include, as far as I
understand: Intel Pentium 4 "prescott" and later, Intel Pentium M
"dothan" and later, Intel Core (not 2) Solo and Duo, 32 bits Intel
Atom, Via C7. This is not the most common hardware currently, but I
think it should however be thought, if it was not already.

Cheers