Re: [Tails-dev] Support for modern Vagrant

Author: David Wolinsky
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Support for modern Vagrant
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 5:39 AM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:

> intrigeri wrote (18 Dec 2013 20:15:16 GMT) :
> > David Wolinsky wrote (18 Dec 2013 17:22:07 GMT) :
> >> What's your preferred method? Shall we just hack the keys into the git
> repo
> >> for now until the maintainer of the box has a chance to update it?
>
> > Unfortunately, the box currently has no maintainer. If someone gives
> > me precise instructions, that work on current Debian unstable, to
> > build an up-to-date one, then I'm happy to upload it. Any taker?
>
> I realized I was unclear. Such instructions could:
>
> 1. either allow me to build a new, up-to-date basebox from scratch
>    (possibly hard, likely Veewee has changed 10 times since then and
>    our stuff does not work anymore, as it is customary in the Ruby
>    ecosystem)
> 2. or allow me to update our existing basebox (that is, likely to run
>    two commands in the VM and have the changes persist into the .box);
>    this is probably easy enough for anyone willing to learn the very
>    basics of Vagrant, I guess.

I'm still not quite clear what update you have in mind. Perhaps the most
reasonable action would be to update the existing basebox with apt-get
update && apt-get dist-upgrade. Alternatively, do we just want to add those
keys into the basebox? Once we have updated the basebox do we need to run
any clean up commands? Perhaps just reading some Vagrant documentation
would help.

> > Otherwise, yes, I guess it might be an acceptable "temporary"
> > workaround to add the needed keys to our Git repositories. I'm not
> > utterly enthusiastic, but oh well, getting this working, somehow,
> > is important.
>
> ... note that this hack would have to be documented on the relevant
> design doc [1], so it is a bit more work, and probably not that
> interesting compared to #2 above.

At least with this hack, I could probably do it in 10 to 15 mins. The other
activities would require me getting my hands a bit dirtier. Of course, may
there's someone else with more familiarity, who could save the day :).