Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/monkeysign

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/monkeysign
Hi,

bertagaz@??? wrote (17 Dec 2013 11:44:11 GMT) :
>> > Doesn't piping it to Mutt work?
>> >
>> > monkeysign currently being command-line only, I was thinking more of
>> > Mutt users than Claws Mail's ones when I thought we wanted this in
>> > Tails. Hopefully this will change at some point.

> I've tried that, but couldn't find a way to have it working. That was a
> short session though, I might have missed something.

Ah crap, so I've really had you merge something that is *far* from
being usable out-of-the-box. Still, I think it makes sense to ship it,
at least for a while, for the reasons I've given previously.

I've just reported this problem upstream.

>> Note that monkeysign also includes and graphical tool for fingerprint
>> scanning: monkeyscan; with QR codes and all :)

> Which doesn't work in Tails, as we don't ship the recommends of monkeysign
> (python-qrencode, python-gtk2, python-zbar, python-zbarpygtk).

My intent was to ship these packages in Tails, and it was a mistake
from my part to act as if we installed Recommends by default: before
I uploaded these packages to Debian backport, I've verified that each
of these packages as available in Squeeze. I'll submit a branch that
installs all that stuff, as it was part of what convinced me it was
worth shipping monkeysign at all.

> Not sure if it is that usefull in Tails' usecase though (like, not
> running on a mobile platform).

Most laptops have a camera these days. Making fingerprint verification
easier is (part of) what makes monkeysign potentially more relevant
than caff.