[Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge bugfix/back-to-linux-3.10 …

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge bugfix/back-to-linux-3.10 [Was: Fix sdmem on Intel graphic hardware, please review]
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (01 Dec 2013 19:19:51 GMT) :
>> winterfairy@??? wrote (01 Dec 2013 17:32:44 GMT) :
>>> Please test that it fixes it for you too, and please verify that the
>>> memory still is wiped.

>> Woo! Currently building an ISO to test this.

> The resulting ISO does not fix the problem for me. I've merged testing
> into the branch, merged it into experimental, and pushed to both
> origin & lizard, so the next nightly build from experimental will have
> this change. winterfairy, can you please try such an ISO and reproduce
> that it really fixes the bug for you?

I just run a bunch of tests on three different laptops.

Below, "emergency" means that I've removed the boot USB stick once the
greeter appeared, "applet" means that I've used the GNOME panel applet
to shutdown the system, and N/M means N successes on M attempts.

ThinkPenguin Royal:

* 0.22~rc1: emergency = 0/3, applet = 0/3
* bugfix/sdmem_on_intel_gpu: emergency = 0/3, applet = 0/3
* bugfix/back-to-linux-3.10: emergency = 3/3, applet = 3/3

ThinkPad X201:

* bugfix/sdmem_on_intel_gpu: emergency = 1/3, applet = 1/3
* bugfix/back-to-linux-3.10: emergency = 3/3, applet = 3/3

ThinkPad X32:

* bugfix/back-to-linux-3.10: emergency = 3/3, applet = 3/3

So, I'm hereby requesting a review'n'merge of
bugfix/back-to-linux-3.10 into testing and devel (there's an APT merge
to do, too). bertagaz will take care of it. Merged into experimental,
pushed to origin and lizard so the next nightly build from
experimental will have this stuff.

Once this branch is merged, I'll file a ticket to unblock the
situation later, as we can't ship Linux 3.10 forever, and will edit
the call for testing 0.22~rc1 so that we get feedback from
non-Intel-graphics users and hopefully understand better who's
affected exactly.

Adding DRM modules to the initramfs might be part of the solution, but
I'd rather not do this at post-RC time, since our last similar attempt
(in Tails 0.12, see commit 901461) was a complete failure. We'll want
DRM modules for #5948 (custom plymouth theme), by the way.