[Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/incremental-upgrad…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/incremental-upgrades
Hi,

I believe the incremental upgrades stuff is now in good shape for
beta testing.

The thing is, it's a bit complicated to actually test this *before*
this branch is part of a release (candidate). I think the best course
of action is:

  1. Someone does the code review, makes sure the changes are
     self-contained enough not to break anything else, and merges into
     devel in time for the 0.22 freeze. No testing at this stage.
     (It's late, just as planned and announced previously.
     bertagaz volunteered to review'n'merge it already.)

2. The code lands into 0.22~rc1 (disabled by default).

  3. As soon as the RC is out, I prepare an IUK to "upgrade" from it
     to whatever silly change (presumably). Then I issue a call
     for testing.

4. Everyone may test the feature live.

     * Best case, we find it works well enough to enable it by default
       in Tails 0.22 (I don't count on it, and I doubt end-user
       documentation is ready in time anyway, but well, who knows).

     * Else:
       - The 0.22 announce calls for people to test this feature on
         the 0.22~rc1..0.22 upgrade path.
       - I fix critical bugs until we deem it good to enable it by
         default (which should happen by the end of the year).

Metadata:

  * Branch: feature/incremental-upgrades (merged into experimental for
    a few days)
  * Tickets: #5922 and #5490
  * There's an APT merge to do.

The design documentation is live already, see
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/incremental_updates/

The release manager documentation is live already too, see "Build the
Incremental Upgrade Kits" and "Prepare upgrade-description files"
sections on https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_process/

End-user doc will be written by sajolida (#5906) once I've given him
enough information (#6451), which I plan to do tomorrow.

I also plan to have something ready soonish in terms of "how to
replace or integrate with our current upgrade notification system", so
that we're ready whenever we decide to enable incremental upgrades
by default.

Another problem is that the two repositories (perl5lib and iuk) are
still not added to Transifex, despite I have asked 3 weeks ago for the
latter... I'll issue a call for translations on tails-l10n right now,
so that at least the Git-using teams get a chance to translate this
stuff in time.