Re: [Tails-dev] Terminology change: upgrade -> update?

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Terminology change: upgrade -> update?
intrigeri:
> our current documentation consistently says "to upgrade".
>
> GNOME consistently says "to update" and so does our shiny incremental
> update software: I wanted to be closer to the terminology used in
> similar software.

I see that, for example in their "update-manager". But I cannot find any
terminology reference for either words, neither in the style guide nor
on the website.

The Microsoft manual of style (yeah!) gives definition that make sense
to me, and I think, match our current usage, and the one of `apt-get`:

«

update
------

Use update as a noun to describe a broadly released fix for a specific
problem addressing a noncritical bug.

upgrade
-------

Use to refer to a software package that replaces an installed version of
a product with a newer version of the same product. The upgrade process
typically leaves existing customer data and preferences
intact while replacing the existing software with the newer version.
Do not use upgrade as a synonym for update, service pack, or any other
release that occurs between product versions.

»

So in our case it would be an "upgrade" and not an "update", and GNOME
seems to disagree with the rest of the world here, since it uses update
everywhere.

I don't have a strong opinion on this. I used "upgrade" on purpose in
the past according to those definitions, but being consistent with GNOME
is a good counterargument and having a single word instead of two is
another one.

> Any objection if I `git mv wiki/src/doc/first_steps/{upgrade,update}',
> update links and wording accordingly, and add the needed redirects to
> .htaccess?

No strong opinion → no strong objection :)