Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails - Bug #6432] WhisperBack launcher sho…

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails - Bug #6432] WhisperBack launcher should give a hint on its use
Hi,

[It's unclear for me if we discuss on the ML or on the bug report. I
personally prefer the ML]

> Having a look at the entries we have in our menus:
>
> * 1. Few applications only appears with their names (KeePassX, I2P).
> * 2. Many applications show their name plus their function (Iceweasel
> Web Browser, Brasero Disc Burner)
> * 3. Some other applications don't show their name but only their
> function (File Browser, Disk Utility). This last kind of applications
> are often system tools or core GNOME applications, that don't need to
> be named even if they have a name.
>
> Regarding WhisperBack, I feel that having only "Report an error" in
> the menu wouldn't work. Because we won't be able to say "please
> report an error using WhisperBack" anymore to people, if WhisperBack
> looses its name by not appearing in the menu, like Palimpsest did for
> example.

Why ? We have "Configure persistent volume", "Tails installer", ...

> So if we want to menu entry to be more explicit, we should move it
> from case 1 to case 2

If we're not happy with case 3, then I think we should go to case 2.

I think case 1 is bad:
- "In the menu item name, include a description of functionality in
addition to the proper name of the
application"
(https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/desktop-application-menu.html.en#menu-item-functional-description)
- "In the menu item name, include a description of the functionality
and the name of the
application" (http://wiki.xfce.org/dev/hig/general)

> by adding a function: "WhisperBack Error Reporter"? That sounds
> ugly :)

What about "Report an error with WisperBack"?

Cheers