Re: [Tails-dev] Sharing code for offline doc browsing? [Was:…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Sharing code for offline doc browsing? [Was: [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails]
23/11/13 00:14, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anonym wrote (21 Nov 2013 05:58:37 GMT) :
>
> I see commit d2c7e29 on the greeter's feature/spoof-mac is about
> preventing users from browsing anything but the doc in the greeter.
> IIRC WhisperBack has similar code, that has the advantage of having
> been reviewed, tested and used in the wild already.
>
> Same for GdmGreeter/helpwindow.py, actually. Time to factorize this
> feature into a Tails Python library?

Please re-read the commit comment, and the comment in the code added in
the commit. The idea of the "prefix" was to make sure that the default
signal handler for Gtk.label links will get a url that it doesn't know
how to handle. It is probably enough to remove the "file://" protocol
part, but I removed as much as possible in case the signal handler tries
to be smart. We *really* don't want iceweasel (or any other application
for that matter) to be opened at Tails Greeter time. :)

So, just, to be clear: commit d2c7e29 has nothing to do with preventing
users from browsing outside the local docs. However, such code is
already present, and it is indeed borrowed from WhisperBack (see commit
08f779c, the `cb_request_starting` callback). While your refactoring
remark still stands, I'd rather spend my limited time on getting this
feature mergable first.

Cheers!