Re: [Tails-dev] Serious reliability issues? [Was: [RFC] Desi…

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Betreff: Re: [Tails-dev] Serious reliability issues? [Was: [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails]
22/11/13 23:47, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just booted a ThinkPad X201 a few times on Tails/experimental
> (that should have the latest and greatest feature/spoof-mac in, if
> I understood clearly). Here are my (slightly disappointing) results:
>
> * the MAC address for my wired ethernet (internal) adapter was always
> spoofed fine; good!
> * the MAC address for my Wi-Fi (internal) adapter was spoofed once,
> and the other time it got its permanent address
> * the MAC address for a USB Wi-Fi dongle was spoofed once (FWIW, when
> plugged after logging in) and the other time it got its permanent
> address (in case it matters, when plugged at greeter time)
>
> Note that the two failure cases above occurred on different boots.
>
> Unfortunately, I was very confident everything would work according to
> the plan on first try, so my test process was pretty rough, and I have
> only taken notes of the addresses and compared it later with the
> permanent ones, so I did not have a look at the logs or anything.
>
> anonym, can you try and reproduce this on various hardware, or should
> I start debugging it a bit on my side?

I managed to reproduce it after a couple of reboots and, unsurprisingly,
it's a race condition. See commit 4df28d9 for more info.

If that doesn't fix it for you I hope the other logging (and unrelated)
improvements I pushed will help you get something useful from `grep
spoof-mac /var/log/syslog` to report back.

Cheers!