Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
Hi,

anonym wrote (21 Nov 2013 05:58:37 GMT) :
> 04/11/13 14:49, intrigeri wrote:
>> To end with, I notice the blueprint was not updated (modulo typos etc.
>> I fixed) since almost a month. At some point, you'll want to make it
>> include all the good thinking that was put into the
>> recent discussions.

> Done.

Great work, congrats! This blueprint will become a wonderful design
document, that we can hand out to anyone wanting to audit this
feature. I've pushed a few typo fixes and minor rephrasing (316f2fc).

Remarks:

* The "plugging" and "plugged" (of network interfaces) words are used
in multiple places in a way that's not obvious without knowing the
implementation details (or reading the relevant section below).
* When pointing to scripts and configuration files, please use the
tails_gitweb shortcut so that Luke^Wanyone can simply click on
a link to read the source.
* I had to re-read this sentence a few times to understand what it
meant: "Therefore we make an exception to have the MAC spoofing
option enabled by default in Tails Greeter if it detects that Tails
is running inside a virtual machine" => please rephrase.
* Regarding "It would obviously require to drop `set -e`, because
errors are indeed what could cause this to happen." --> err, well,
I kinda disagree that letting errors propagate further, just so we
can enjoy detecting it later, is "obvious". "set -e" detects a given
class of error conditions, great. The proposed failsafe check would
detect another (probably overlapping) class of error conditions.
I think that both should coexist.
* Regarding "Loss of hotplugged devices" --> I'll do the test.