Re: [Tails-dev] Reviewing kytv:feature/i2p-0.9.8.1 [Was: abo…

Author: Kill Your TV
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Reviewing kytv:feature/i2p-0.9.8.1 [Was: about the maintenance of I2P in Tails]
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:06:50 +0000 (UTC)
intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Kill Your TV wrote (14 Nov 2013 20:32:45 GMT) :
> > If ACLs can be used [...]
>
> I've no idea if they're available for SquashFS, especially once
> combined with aufs. One would have to test this. Let's perhaps keep
> this for a future iteration, though, and make sure it does not block
> the basics from landing into 0.22.

Works for me.

[..]

> >> OK, then:
> >>
> >> * Why the change to make it bootstrap over Tor?
>
> > Since the bootstrap happens over HTTPS and/or HTTP and Tails exposed
> > port 8118 it seemed like a good candidate.
>
> Sorry if I'm thick, but I still don't get what is the advantage of
> doing this, while I clearly see a few disadvantages (slowness,
> potential for fingerprinting of Tails users, and makes it harder to
> drop the HTTP proxy).

IIRC there was talk about the bootstrap being done via Tor on either
the Tor or tahoe lists. Removing it is fine, of course, and it's
certainly not a good reason to make polipo stick around. I'll remove
this as well as the 'custom' news file.