Re: [Tails-dev] feature/liveusb_ui_improvement: phrasing iss…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] feature/liveusb_ui_improvement: phrasing issue?
On 17/10/13 16:21, Alan wrote:

>>> I'm afraid that the phrasing make the suer believe that her data is
>>> actually erased, which is not the case, but that's not a regression.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand your concern with this phrasing. Do you mean
>> the user might think her data is securely deleted from the device
>> while it is not?
>>
> Yes.
>
> What about : "You won't be able to easily access the data currently
> saved on the selected drive anymore."

I think this might be more precise from a technical point of view but it
is not more explicit than the previous one to explain that this doesn't
do secure deletion on the drive. Plus, we shouldn't pretend things are
"easy" or "difficult" for a user.

What about:

« All data on the selected drive will be lost. Note that this does not
securely erase the data on the drive. Continue? »

But since we don't document a reliable procedure to securely erase a
whole USB stick, I feel weird warning people about something that we
don't offer them a solution for.

But if you really think that's better, then I'm ok with that.