Re: [Tails-l10n] German translation

Author: Frithjof
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] German translation
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Philipp Steverding
<philipp@???> wrote:
> I'd join the team too,

Great!

> though I have to admit I have no experience in
> using git *or* in doing any l10n-work. If somebody could help me figure
> things out I'd be more than willing to contribute some hours of work :)

I haven't use gettext much before too; reading (and following some links)

    https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/

will bring you a long way. Working with the .po files is not that hard.
There are tons of Git tutorials out there and you can always ask if there is
a specific problem. See maybe

    https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html
    https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitworkflows.html
    https://tails.boum.org/contribute/git/

I think the hardest part in translating something as a team is maintaining a
consistent language and a consistent tone. We probably should find a
place to document some of the decisions taken. E.g. how do we
translate "website"?
Do we translate "Tor exit node" or the word/name "bridges" in "Tor can
use bridges
to circumvent censorship"?

-Frithjof