Re: [Tails-dev] Making the system partition bigger

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Making the system partition bigger
> Then, I hereby propose we make newly created system partitions 2.5GB,
> and recommend the use of 4GB USB thumb drives or larger.

Fine with me. It becomes hard to buy USB sticks of less than 4 GB these
days. Smaller USB sticks are still available when buying buck devices
for promotional use, but that's not an issue here.

> If someone cares that much about supporting smaller USB sticks, then
> they're welcome to add a way to pick a custom system partition size,
> without cluttering the UI by default (e.g.
> a --customize-system-partition-size command-line switch that adds the
> necessary widgets would be fine).

Another front-end to Tails Installer and Tails Persistence Setup, to
backup a Tails stick onto another one, would be a another fancy
improvement. It could:

1. Clone the current Tails onto another one, and create the partitions
of the recommended sizes.
2. Open the persistent volume on the source device.
3. Create a persistent volume on the destination device.
4. Copy all the files from the source persistence to the destination
persistence.