Re: [Tails-dev] uVirtus design

Author: intrigeri
To: dlshad
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] uVirtus design
Hi,

first, congrats for pushing uVirtus 2.0 out of the door.
Various questions and remarks follow.

dlshad othman wrote (13 Sep 2013 15:35:57 GMT) :
> - uVirtus is using openVPN + obfsproxy because [...]

Thanks for the details!

> - The website and the documentation is still under update [...] all
> the references will be included when we'll be done at 27th

Thanks for considering my request. I'm glad I can now read "Some parts
of the documentation were copied from Tails Linux" on various pages.
However, technically, I doubt the relicensing is OK.

Also, the thing is called "Tails", not "Tails Linux".

To end with, that's surely a minor detail, but please consider using
https:// URIs when linking to our website :)

> On 09/13/2013 11:15 AM, intrigeri wrote:
>> What kind of adversary is the anonymity meant to be strong against?

I'm still curious about the actual anonymity threat model.

The "uVirtus offers anonymity through the untraceable VPN connection"
claim seems a pretty bold one to me, given the obvious problems
one-hop proxies have when anonymity is at stake.

Also, on https://uvirtus.org/wiki/index.php/Network_Manager I can read
instructions to use the OpenDNS or Google DNS server. How does that
play with these "untraceable" and "anonymity" claims?

>> uVirtus is released under the GPL (great!), but I was not able to find
>> the source code anywhere. Where can I download it to have a look
>> behind the curtain?

uVirtus 2.0 has been released for more than a week now, and I'm still
not able to find the source code, despite the homepage reading "You
can build your own uVirtus distro – client and Server Visit the
developer’s page". Where should I look?

To end with, if I wanted to understand how the SanctuaryClient
authenticates the VPN configuration it retrieves, where should I start
looking at in this not-so-small piece of code?

Thanks for your attention :)