Re: [Tails-dev] Removing the clock applet from the desktop

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Removing the clock applet from the desktop
Hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (06 Oct 2013 10:06:45 GMT) :
> On 03/10/13 12:11, intrigeri wrote:

>> But also, I think the region setting is useful *in itself*, not just
>> for timezone selection: it's used to select a default keyboard layout
>> in the greeter, and it also determines various l10n and language
>> behaviors. So I don't think we could get rid of this region setting.

> By the way, in the current Greeter there are three settings: "language",
> "locale", and "keyboard". If I choose "Français" as a "language", and
> "Canada" as a "locale", then the "keyboard" is not configured
> automatically as "Canada", and I still have to choose it by hand.

> But the "locale" is surely used to differentiate between pt_PT and pt_BR
> for example, and probably only for doing that.

Well, no. The second setting really is a country code. It is used not
only to select a more specific dialect (e.g. Spanish as spoken in
Mexico), but also for various other stuff, like currencies, units,
papersize, etc.

So, I think we should rename this field in the greeter to "Region" or
"Country".

>>> Here is my logic for that: if there is a timezone stored in persistence,
>>> then that should overwrite the country option in the Greeter
>>
>> Regardless of whether it's reasonable or not to deduce the region from
>> the configured timezone (that's debatable, I guess), there is
>> a problem with this: we only get to learn the persistent timezone
>> setting *after* having enabled persistence in the greeter, so anyone
>> who wants to benefit from the behavior you're suggesting would have to
>> either select their preferred keyboard layout every time anyway, or
>> type their passphrase with a US layout. Not too convincing a UX,
>> is it?

> Sorry my sentence was not clear and doesn't make sense now that I
> realized that this widget was setting the locale I prefer, and not the
> country where I am.

Sorry if I'm getting you confused again: it *does* specify the region
where you are, in broader sense than just fine-tuning the language
being used. I'll let you digest this, rethink the whole thing and draw
new hypothesis & proposals, if you wish :)

> Some countries have several timezones, and people travel so that can
> only be a best bet and we still need a way to configure it from the applet.

Sure.

> Those two scenarios will work and I am fine with them.

I'm glad we've found an agreement. Unless my input above changes your
mind :)

> But that is not a big deal as long as you can fix the timezone
> directly from the applet.

Agreed.