[Tails-dev] Sandboxes in Tails

Author: intrigeri
To: Eleanor Saitta
CC: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Sandboxes in Tails
Hi Eleanor,

With my Tails contributor hat, I am writing you wrt. your recent tweet
about Tails: https://twitter.com/Dymaxion/status/386183768589221889

Sandboxing software (Iceweasel and Tor, to start with) is indeed on
our roadmap for Tails 2.0, in addition to some AppArmor confinement.
More hardening work is planned for Tails 3.0.

However, let me put it clearly: we are not there yet, and we can't
allow ourselves to focus on this right now. The road towards Tails 1.0
and 1.1 is still quite long:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap#Tails_1.0
https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap#Tails_1.1

Debian Squeeze will be EOL'd next May, so with our limited resources,
we have to go through these milestones first. Needless to say, anyone
is free to work on sandboxing right now (in Debian or in Tails), and
any kind of help is warmly welcome:

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/

P.S.: thanks a lot for your talk at NoisySquare, it was inspiring to
see the "usability as a security feature" idea explained to the right
people with the right words, and useful to address some "OMG this
could be more secure WTF" recently: https://lwn.net/Articles/568622/