Re: [Tails-dev] Tails & Truecrypt

Author: s7r@sky-ip.org
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails & Truecrypt
On 10/4/2013 11:46 PM, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi Marco & all,
>
> Marco Calamari wrote (04 Oct 2013 17:56:04 GMT) :
>> rememebr how Truecrypt is widely diffused as easy crossplaform
>> tool.
>
> Thank you for contributing this email. I find it useful to get such
> feedback.
>
> Just so that we're on the same page (as I do realize our existing
> tickets are very confusing, and sometimes even contradicting each
> other):
>
> First, before Marco's email, we had received almost zero feedback
> since 0.20 announces the removal of TrueCrypt. Interesting, uh.
> Nevertheless, I have to acknowledge how widely TrueCrypt is being
> used, and no viable alternative to its on-disk format has showed up
> in the recent years when it comes to plausible deniability +
> cross-platform support, AFAIK.
>
> Second, we have a "Replace TrueCrypt" ticket on the roadmap for
> Tails 2.0:
>
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5373
>
> There are various subtasks in there, that could greatly benefit
> from some help. Some are quite easy (#5705) and will allow to see
> what kind of effort needs to be done to be able to replace TC
> entirely. Likely some of these efforts will have to be pushed
> upstream, e.g. in GNOME. Probably we're not being the ones who do
> the integration in udisks and in GNOME Disks, if that's what it
> takes.
>
> In short: whoever wants Tails to keep compatibility with
> TrueCrypt, then they're warmly welcome to help make it happen, as
> we probably can't do it all by ourselves :)
>
> If you, or anyone else wants to help, but need some guidance,
> please talk to us. Even when TrueCrypt is mentionned, we don't
> (always) bite *that* hard.
>
>> OTOH licence problem IMO can be solved in some way.
>
> Sure: I think the best way to "solve" it is to ship software
> that's compabible with TC, and to stop shipping the TrueCrypt
> software itself :)
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

Why was TrueCrypt removed in the first place?
It is useful and also indispensable for me, since I carry most of my
important documents in a TrueCrypt encrypted container. Also, I always
attach files to email (whenever sensitive files) in encrypted
containers. I use PGP encryption sometimes, but I find TrueCrypt
stronger and easier to use.

So, why was it removed? Does it have a security flaw or something like
this? Was it incompatible with Tails in any way?

I think, if it is not a security flaw and if it is compatible with
Tails it should be put back into tails.

- --
PGP Public key: http://www.sky-ip.org/s7r@sky-ip.org.asc
ICQ #: 556561918