[Tails-dev] Installing caff?

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Installing caff?
Hi,

it has been suggested by a user to install caff (from the
signing-party package) to allow using Tails as a platform for offline
key signing (e.g. if you keep your master key offline, on a Tails
persistent volume, and use a Tails that is never exposed to the
network).

For this usecase, the "you can just install caff yourself" argument
doesn't hold, even with the persistent additional software feature
since it currently requires to be online from time to time to go
on working.

I'm all in favour of supporting the usecase in Tails by default.

Installing signing-party on current Tails fetches 1MB from the Debian
archive, so it should add max. 1MB to the ISO size:

    libclass-methodmaker-perl libconvert-binhex-perl libmailtools-perl
    libmime-tools-perl libterm-readkey-perl libtext-template-perl qprint
    signing-party

Nothing too scary in there. It's enough to have caff basically working
(but the outgoing email feature, since we don't have a working MTA).

Some of the other tools provided by the signing-party package require
other optional dependencies to be installed. I think we can disregard
it for now, and start with only supporting caff.

Thoughts?