Re: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: categorie…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge doc/contribute-categories [Was: Contribute section of the website: categories]
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: categories
sajolida@??? wrote (21 Sep 2013 08:16:25 GMT) :
> Ok, I tried to come up with a new mockup that matches all our
> comments:

I like it a lot!

If we agree on this general idea, then:

1. I think this mockup is already much better than the current page,
so I propose we deploy it live as is.

2. We should add some content to implement the latest proposal by
sajolida, that was roughly taken from Fedora's website IIRC
(basically: a short description for each sub-category such as
Writer and Software Developer, and a "Learn more" link, IIRC).

3. Once we have all the needed content, we can ask carmie to do
some styling.

4. In parallel with the CSS work, the next step is probably to tidy up
the rest of the contribute page somehow. Else, with this biggest
introduction, it will get a bit too long. Here's a quick initial
proposal to get us started:

  * Replace the "Design" section with a single link to
    contribute/design. I suggest we simply put this link in the same
    section as the link to blueprints, and rename "Tools" into
    something else.

    Rationale: the list of individual design docs is already on
    https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/#index3h1 (it could
    perhaps be moved to the top to be more visible there, though)

  * Move the "Talk to us" section, unchanged, above the "Other
    development pages" one.

  * About the huge "Other development pages" index, I propose we create
    a ticket for filtering out what shouldn't be there, and creating
    index pages for every sub-directory of contribute as needed, so that
    we can make the list way shorter by only pointing to the relevant
    pages. I don't think this should block the deployement of the fix
    for #6173, though.

Thoughts?