Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: bilibop 0.4.16 entered NEW

Author: quidame
To: intrigeri
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: bilibop 0.4.16 entered NEW
Hi,

On 18/09/2013 14:41, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> uploaded, finally :)

Thanks

> Now, we'll have to decide what version we want to run, and which
> repository we want to fetch it from.
>
> quidame, once bilibop enters testing, have you any plans to maintain
> it in wheezy-backports? (No need to upload every single new release in
> there: ideally, for Tails, one would upload to backports only versions
> that bring important fixes, and that have proven to be robust for
> a while.)

Several things:

1. If I remember, the version 0.4.11 of bilibop (-common and -udev) is
shipped with Tails. It seems there is no known issue, otherwise I think
you would have talked me about.
2. Any version of bilibop could be backported to wheezy, with absolutely
no change, except adding the ~bpo suffix. But some of them may be easily
forgotten (see above: 4)
3. Since 0.4.11, the changes in bilibop-udev are about runtime
installation, so Tails is out of concern.
4. Between 0.4.11 and 0.4.16, the main changes have been occured in
bilibop-rules, especially to make it debconf configurable. Some of these
versions (mainly 0.4.12) are not very good (maintscripts are a little
bit buggy).

Also, given that 0.4.16 can be backported easily (it acctually runs as
is on my wheezy) and that bilibiop-udev has not really evolved since
0.4.11, I think I will build a wheezy-backport version from the 0.4.16,
and let it there. After what I have a todo list to apply to the
testing/unstable version, but I'm enough satisfied of the actual state
of the packages, and also too busy and too lazy to not backport every
new version I will build for unstable.

In all cases, unless someone reports a bug against it, I have nothing to
modify in bilibop-udev. And the next changes I plan for bilibop-common
are minor, and mainly related to bilibop-lockfs. So even if the version
number will increase, the content of bilibop-udev will be the same.

I understand that Tails developers do not want to tweak the apt
preferences every week :) Maybe a good solution could be to use the
testing version in a first time, and as soon as a ~bpo version is
available, use this repository instead, for a long time (i.e. until
jessie becomes stable and Tails migrates to jessie). Does it answer your
questions ?

Cheers
quidame