[Tails-dev] Removing the clock applet from the desktop

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Removing the clock applet from the desktop
We constantly receive questions and complains about the clock be wrong
on the desktop. That's because it is set to UTC for everybody to avoid
splitting the anonymity set.

We had a task about documentation for a while [1]. It's even a broken
window assigned to me, *shame* :)

[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5842

Then today I realized that a complementary way of looking at the problem
would be to remove that clock from the desktop.

Furthermore, some people tried to edit their locations from that applet,
possibly leaking more info.

People will still have a wrong time in timestamps otherwise: from
Pidgin, when running `date`, etc. but at least not directly visible on
the desktop. The rational here is to not display anything instead of
displaying something wrong.

What do you think?

Shall we set a deadline for this discussion in two weeks? October 3.