Re: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: categorie…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: categories
> I'm not quite comfortable with the idea of dropping some important and
> very real ways of contributing from this list, as is done in the
> `Without "Server administrator"' proposal. It feels a bit like
> negating the actual work people are doing. I'm unsure how important
> this really is, but I thought I would mention this
> uncomfortable feeling.
>
> Anyway, this may not matter much, as maybe a "System administrator"
> category will be needed anyway: there's been work done since the
> summit towards being able to have a contribute/sysadmin page, so at
> some point we surely want to add a link about this kind of work (I
> would say by the end of the year). I'm not sure how it integrates with
> the existing proposals, but perhaps we would be better off taking this
> into account right from the beginning.

So let's keep it under a new role called "System administrator".

>> So I created two mockups which both our proposals on the blueprint.
>
> Thanks! It does help me think about the whole thing.
> I'm generally happy with the first proposal.
>
> One thing that bothers me slightly is where tasks like writing press
> releases would fit in. Right now, the place it fits best is probably
> the "Spread the word" page. However, it's listed in "People person",
> and I doubt people skilled at writing PR things would necessarily
> identify as "People persons", and then they could look at the "Content
> writer" category and get lost (because they don't feel like writing
> documentation). Perhaps we should have:
>
>   * Writer
>     - Improve documentation
>     - Write press releases [points to "Advocate Tails" page]
>       (could surely be phrased better)

>   * Speaker
>     - Talk at events [points to "Advocate Tails" too]

> ... then rename "Spread the word" to "Advocate Tails" (and possibly
> rename the page altogether from contribute/how/promote to
> contribute/how/advocate), and split this page into two big sections,
> one being for speakers, the other for writers of PR and alike?

I thought about that as a tiny problem I well but you came up with a
solution. Great. So I'm adding it to the mockup. I felt we were getting
too many categories to fit in a single row so I create to subgroups:

1. Help with your language skills
2. Help with your technical skills

The only weird thing there is "Make a donation" :)

But the rest looks all-right to me. We can try to keep it on a single
screen without vertical scrolling and I think it will still work.

Thanks for taking care of all the ticketing work. I should have done
that myself but I forgot...