[Tails-dev] SELinux

Author: Stephen Stewart
To: tails-dev@boum.org
Subject: [Tails-dev] SELinux
TAILS Developers,

SELinux was created by the NSA. I first encountered SELinux as a userland program that ran on Red Hat and Fedora Linux, before it was submitted to kernel.org, but it is now built into the kernel of most Linux distributions.

Since most Linux system administrators don't know what to make of SELinux, it usually runs in permissive mode and is largely ignored. I am convinced it is completely unnecessary and, considering the source, I suspect it may be hazardous.

I'm concerned that SELinux may compromise TAILS and would encourage you to remove it from the kernel. Failing that, I will recompile TAILS without SELinux myself. Please let me if you want me to do that.

Stephen Stewart