Re: [Tails-dev] Point the "Report a bug" desktop launcher to…

Autor: sajolida
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Point the "Report a bug" desktop launcher to "Help & Support"?
On 03/09/13 18:46, intrigeri wrote:
> I hereby propose we have the "Report a bug" desktop shortcut link to
> the local version of the "Help & Support" web page (either in Yelp or
> in Iceweasel, I guess). WhisperBack could still be started from the
> Applications menu.
>
> (Below, I'm freely quoting someone else to support this proposal.
> I hope you don't mind!)
>
> The path we would like to see users go through is visiting the Tails
> web site, and:
>
> Help & Support → Found a problem? → Found a bug?
>
> This path includes: checking whether the problem is known already,
> upgrading if needed, reading the bug reporting guidelines, etc.
>
> Alternatively, we could simply remove this launcher on the grounds
> that we already have a "Tails documentation" one.

I don't mean to be pedantic here but what is the problem you are trying
to solve here? And what was the purpose of having this launcher on the
desktop in the first place?

Do you think we are receiving to many Whisperback reports and should not
be sent? There is surely some noise, but not that many, and I find it
great to see many people reporting all kind of errors. I have the
feeling that the noise is worth the useful input.

I find it complementary to have both launchers on the desktop. One is to
learn about Tails, the other one is to report a malfunction of Tails. I
fear that forcing people to go through the documentation to find there
that it is possible to report a bug from inside Tails will reduce the
useful input received through Whisperback.

If we want to add a bit more filtering before Whisperback, and reduce
the noise, improving the label of that launcher can help (see the other
thread on the usage of the word "bug"), the idea of having it point to
the support page can help too.

In that case, I would rather point to /support/found_a_problem/ and
improve that page if required. It is a shorter path and still includes: