Re: [Tails-dev] Building a Tails live ISO with a *different*…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Building a Tails live ISO with a *different* desktop
On 26/08/13 19:23, Robert Heller wrote:
> I am trying to build a tails ISO with a different desktop environment,
> specificly with Enlightenment (E17) instead of the default (Gnome 3). What is
> the 'magic' to do that? Since there isn't the standard login screen
> (Greeter), it is not possible to select the desktop there. I tried creating
> an .xsession file, but that does not seem to work either.

Creating your own Tails distro with a different desktop environment is
probably a quite tricky task. Many features from Tails rely on the
internals of GNOME, like proxy settings, desktop notifications, etc.
Making all that work with a different desktop environment will require
much more than changing the set of Debian packages. If you really want
to go through that work you should be able to do it on your own because
we won't have time to help you that much.

Tails Greeter is a custom greeter for GDM3. Maybe you should patch it to
start your custom desktop environment...