[Tails-dev] Please review bugfix/fix_virtualbox_dkms_build

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: sajolida
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: The Tails public development discussion list
Aihe: [Tails-dev] Please review bugfix/fix_virtualbox_dkms_build
I worked on a branch to fix the build of the VirtualBox modules, that
has been broken for a while.

Ticket: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5972
Branch: bugfix/fix_virtualbox_dkms_build

This branch installs virtualbox-guest-dkms version 4.2.16 from unstable
because previous versions do not build on kernel 3.8.
After the modules are installed, it downgrades virtualbox-guest-utils
and virtualbox-guest-x11 to the version in deb.tails.boum.org, because
virtualbox-guest-x11/unstable depends on the version of Xorg in unstable
of course.

This works, but it does not solve all the problem magically:

- the display still does not resize but is quite bigger by default
- the shared folders work but the vboxsf module needs to be modprobed
- the shared clipboard works after issuing `sudo VBoxClient --clipboard`
(that last one is not a problem!)

I'm not certain these problems are caused by the mismatch in versions.
Maybe those are separate issues that need to be fixed some other way. If
we still consider this first step as positive I don't mind creating
other tickets for those. And this branch would be a candidate for 0.20.1.

If we think it is too hackish, we might try to apply the patch the
hopefully fixes the build directly on older versions:

https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/39224/

I need some guidance on what we think the best strategy would be here.