[Tails-dev] Should we avoid using the word bug?

Autore: winterfairy
To: tails-dev
Oggetto: [Tails-dev] Should we avoid using the word bug?
Hi.

I want to propose some wording improvements for whisperback and
corresponding documentation.

Right now, the desktop icon read as "Report a bug". Bug is a real and
recognized word for software error, but it is also a real and recognized
word for a kind of surveillance device secretly recording audio [1]. I
therefore believe that the word "bug" may be confusing in the context of
Tails.

I don't know what applies for English, but in Swedish non-technical people
tend to believe you talk about the listening device when you say "bugg". I
think this mistake may exist in more languages, so I propose to change the
desktop icon to read as "Report an error" instead.

Likewise I want the text inside whisperback that now reads "Help us fix
your bug!" to read "Help us fix your software error!" or even "Help us fix
your software bug!". And similar for other instances of the word "bug".

If you do not think English speaking people can misunderstand the word
"bug" in this context, I will simply change it in the Swedish translation
only.

Thoughts?

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bug