[Tails-dev] Doc : explain why Tor is slow

Autor: Vigdis
Para: tails-dev
Asunto: [Tails-dev] Doc : explain why Tor is slow
Hi,

First post on the list \o/

I'd like to help in writing documentation (I've already been given a lot
of link about how to do it, don't worry).

This ticket seems to be a good start :
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5641

> The best way to start writing those things would be to come
> up with a sketch of headlines, important points, structure, placement
> for the doc, etc. and send it to Tails-dev.

headlines, important points, structure :

- explication about Tor circuits
-- 3 hops
//maybe we can merge it with the next one :
- geographic size of the circuit -> latency
-- Tor takes nodes in different countries
- multiple round trip
-- Tor is TCP and TCP is three way handshake but Optimistic Data is
coming, waiting for 0.2.4 to be stable
-- Nodes are hosted on adsl which add more latency than servers in
datacenter/on FTTH
- Tor lacks capacity
/** I took this from this from
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/roadmaps/2009-03-11-performance.pdf,
I don't know if it's still actuall **/
-- Help non profit like Torservers, Nos oignons, DFRI and so on.
- Tor usage
-- Don't do P2P on Tor, there's I2P instead, and it's even shipped with
Tails :-)

placement for the doc :
it was suggested that it belongs rather to the tpo (torproject.org)
website but as long as they don't provide the possibility for
translation, we keep it in the Tails site and once they offer the
ability, we move it to tpo.

It convinces me :)

So where to put it in the wiki ?
- Doc/General Information (a.k.a about)
- another new part ?
The 'already existing' "Can I hide the fact that I'm using Tails" and
the future 'explain why Tails ships Tor' (issue #6018) doesn't have
(IMHO) their place in the 'about' part of the doc so maybe we can put
it in the about and once we have the three docs done, create another
part for them.

Not so sure, actually :p

Any input ?

--