Re: [Tails-dev] Installing Tails onto USB-Stick

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Betreff: Re: [Tails-dev] Installing Tails onto USB-Stick
On 07/08/13 21:34, intrigeri wrote:
> Arne wrote (07 Aug 2013 19:15:21 GMT) :
>> Because it is quite unlikely that a normal user of a Linux system is allowed to write
>> to the device directly.
>
> On most modern GNU/Linux distros that I know of, the desktop user that
> was created at installation time has write access to removable storage
> media out-of-the-box. So, I can't call it unlikely.

Yes. And to me, adding `sudo` to the first proposed command will
increase the possibility for a user to overwrite some internal disk if
typing a wrong device name.

>> Furthermore i don't get a specific reason why you are using cat instead of dd.
>> Maybe because cat is really likely to be already installed but from my experiences dd
>> is mostly installed as well.
>
> I tend to think that using `dd' instead of `cat' would at least solve
> the "I tried `sudo cat FILE > DEVICE' and it did not work" issue.
> sajolida, what do you think?

I think there was no strong argument in play when we chose between `dd`
or `cat`. If `dd` is easier to prefix with `sudo`, then why not change
to `dd`, yes.