Re: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS, Tor and Tails

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: tahoe-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS, Tor and Tails
Hi,

first of all, I'm very happy to see you work on Tahoe-LAFS integration
in Tails! I can't wait seeing the whole thing working and properly
integrated :)

Jacob Appelbaum wrote (09 Aug 2013 00:22:54 GMT) :
> [...] we need to ensure that Tahoe ships as part of Tails. [...]

This looks possible and desirable to me, once:

  * Tahoe-LAFS is properly maintained in Debian
  * we know how much it would make the ISO bigger
  * we know what packages it pulls as dependencies in a Tails system
    and the list doesn't look too scary
  * the tooling is available that makes it useful for many Tails
    users, without low-level expertise (I'm glad you're working
    on it!)
  * as usual, design documentation + end-user documentation is
    ready :)

> We of course want to ensure that Tails has the newest version of Tahoe -
> though there is some debate about using Tahoe-LAFS or Leif's Truckee
> Tahoe-LAFS branch. Any thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

In case it may help, the version of Tahoe-LAFS that we could ship in
Tails must be in Debian first. In general, Debian ships upstream code,
and not alternative branches, so perhaps having Leif's work merged
upstream is needed if we need it?