Re: [Tails-dev] Installing Tails onto USB-Stick

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Installing Tails onto USB-Stick
Hi,

Arne wrote (07 Aug 2013 19:15:21 GMT) :
> Because it is quite unlikely that a normal user of a Linux system is allowed to write
> to the device directly.

On most modern GNU/Linux distros that I know of, the desktop user that
was created at installation time has write access to removable storage
media out-of-the-box. So, I can't call it unlikely.

> Furthermore i don't get a specific reason why you are using cat instead of dd.
> Maybe because cat is really likely to be already installed but from my experiences dd
> is mostly installed as well.

I tend to think that using `dd' instead of `cat' would at least solve
the "I tried `sudo cat FILE > DEVICE' and it did not work" issue.
sajolida, what do you think?

> And a last thing i think that this distribution is dedicated to those who need
> anonymity in a safe way. So maybe they don't have such a big background and would
> stop after the first try even if they are already using Linux.

That's correct. Please note that this installation method is marked as
the *manual* one, and not recommended as the default option.