[Tails-dev] Wrong MIME type returned for ISO signatures

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Wrong MIME type returned for ISO signatures
As reported in a bug report, when downloading an ISO signature from
Tails, the browser proposes to open it using "Decrypt File" instead of
"Verify Signature".

See https://tails.boum.org/todo/fix_signature_verification_from_Iceweasel/.

In Tails 0.18, with Squeeze, /etc/mime.types has:

application/pgp-encrypted
application/pgp-keys                            key
application/pgp-signature                       pgp

On my machine, with Wheeze, it has:

application/pgp-encrypted                       pgp
application/pgp-keys                            key
application/pgp-signature                       sig

At the time we named the signature file *.pgp I guess boum.org was on
Squeeze. Maybe now it's on Wheezy and the MIME association changed.

It's now returning application/pgp-encrypted, see:

$ curl --verbose
https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/tails-i386-0.19.torrent.pgp
[...]

On my local webserver under Wheezy, downloading
tails-i386-0.19.torrent.pgp proposes "Decrypt File" but downloading the
same file renamed as tails-i386-0.19.torrent.sig proposes "Verify
Signature".

Seems like it's time to rename our signature files as .sig.

But since all that depends on the webserver providing the file, it might
also differ on different mirrors. Would we prefer to serve the signature
always from boum.org?