Re: [Tails-dev] More things around the same «persistent vol…

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Unu
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: intrigeri, The Tails public development discussion list
Aihe: Re: [Tails-dev] More things around the same «persistent volume»
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>:
> first, I strongly recommend you read
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/faq/. It should help you focus your
> energy on reporting new ideas... or implementing them :)

Thank you. I will.

> Unu wrote (03 Jun 2013 21:56:29 GMT) :
> > # KeePassX, Gedit customizations
>
> > I configured KeePassX and Gedit. Next time they are back to the
> > defaults. I have checked everything I could for the persistent
> > volume.
>
> Indeed, there are no persistent presets for such customization.
>
> Perhaps our documentation could be improved to make this clearer.
> Reading our "Manage passwords with KeePassX" doc [1] again, I find it
> makes it very clear only the "password database" is going to
> persist. Please point us to what made you believe it would be
> different, so that have a chance to improve this page :)
>
> [1]
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/manage_passwords/

No no no. It wasn't your documentation. It was my assumption all the
way. One way to hack it would be to add the whole /home/amnesia to be
backed up. After all, if one has on self gpg keys, user accounts and so
on, might have some history as well.

Sure, some cache is a waste of time, so there probably is more work to
fine tune the action.

> > # Keyboard settings
>
> > Keyboard gets set on the welcome screen. Only that I run something
> > more like a system on a stick. I want to help it remember the
> > keyboard which would help with the password as well.
>
> Already on our todo list, although not very easy to find, admitedly:
> https://tails.boum.org/todo/allow_choosing_language_at_installation_time/

I was hoping for something already in, not on the ToDo.

> > Also, I usually use an enhanced keyboard. The same 105 hardware
> > keys, but more combinations leading to more printed signs. Can I put
> > it somewhere on the persistent storage and make Tails load that up
> > at startup?
>
> Probably, using some combination of xmodmap, custom persistent
> directories, etc. But this is not supported per-se, so I'm afraid
> you'll have to learn how the tools work on your own.

Yea. I know the drill. Back in the days my language wasn't well
supported. Today it looks like a pain in the behind. I'd rather use
the US keyboard.

> > # Persistent storage on a different stick
>
> > I thought about having Tails on DVD, yet the persistent storage on a
> > stick. Is it possible to have something like that in the next
> > versions? Or have it on an USB and the persistent storage on
> > another USB?
>
> See https://tails.boum.org/todo/persistence:_support_DVD/.

I see.

> > # Backup of the persistent storage
> > [...]
>
> https://tails.boum.org/todo/Clone_or_Backup_Persistent_Volume/

That one looks rather complicated. The first part is the same as for
any USB clone. Partition and copy the sqashfs image. But that would
open the posibility of having the persistent volume done in one go.

> > # Strange event
>
> > Day one: everything was smooth.
> > Day two: Tails was freezing. A couple of random times at the first
> > choice in the GUI, the one with setting up a root pass. But almost
> > every time when trying to connect to the Wifi box. As long as I
> > would not try to connect it would freeze a few times, but not all
> > the time. I even tried with another Wifi card, USB, plugged in. I
> > removed from seahorse the password. It would freeze at the time of
> > entering the Wifi password. At night it stopped happening. No
> > logical explanation. And I don't believe in UFOs.
>
> > Only thing I could link was a suspended on disk Windows session.
> > After restarting windows and shutting down clean Tails was working
> > well. But on Day one I am not sure, but I assume Windows was
> > suspended.
>
> > I know you can't fix it unless it's a common problem. But what do I
> > do to come up with relevant information for you to fix next time it
> > happens, if ever?
>
> Please follow https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/bug_reporting/ so
> that we can possibly help, thanks :)

I'll try to do that. Today it happened once, too early for noticing
anything: it froze at the first screen, the one with the two yes/no.
Hard restart. And it worked like nothing has happened.

> Cheers,

Cheers and thanks for spending all the time for locating the pointers.