[Tails-dev] More things around the same «persistent volume»

Üzenet törlése

Válasz az üzenetre
Szerző: Unu
Dátum:
Címzett: The Tails public development discussion list
Tárgy: [Tails-dev] More things around the same «persistent volume»
I use Tails 0.18 on an USB stick with persistent storage. I enabled
everything from the menu including a couple of more folders. So far so
good.

# KeePassX, Gedit customizations

I configured KeePassX and Gedit. Next time they are back to the
defaults. I have checked everything I could for the persistent volume.

# Keyboard settings

Keyboard gets set on the welcome screen. Only that I run something more
like a system on a stick. I want to help it remember the keyboard which
would help with the password as well.

Also, I usually use an enhanced keyboard. The same 105 hardware keys,
but more combinations leading to more printed signs. Can I put
it somewhere on the persistent storage and make Tails load that up at
startup?

# Persistent storage on a different stick

I thought about having Tails on DVD, yet the persistent storage on a
stick. Is it possible to have something like that in the next versions?
Or have it on an USB and the persistent storage on another USB?

# Backup of the persistent storage

One way would be to copy it bit by bit. It takes time. A lot of time.
But the result should be ok. At least in theory.

One can make an encrypted container and dump the contents of the
$HOME/Persistent. But the keys would have to be exported and imported
by hand. Also, there would be no settings or extra apps.

Is there a way to backup the persistent data? In case the stick gets
broken, the distro can be restored quickly. But not the rest.

# Strange event

Day one: everything was smooth.
Day two: Tails was freezing. A couple of random times at the first
choice in the GUI, the one with setting up a root pass. But almost
every time when trying to connect to the Wifi box. As long as I would
not try to connect it would freeze a few times, but not all the time. I
even tried with another Wifi card, USB, plugged in. I removed from
seahorse the password. It would freeze at the time of entering the Wifi
password. At night it stopped happening. No logical explanation. And I
don't believe in UFOs.

Only thing I could link was a suspended on disk Windows session. After
restarting windows and shutting down clean Tails was working well. But
on Day one I am not sure, but I assume Windows was suspended.

I know you can't fix it unless it's a common problem. But what do I do
to come up with relevant information for you to fix next time it
happens, if ever?