Re: [Tails-dev] Please review&merge feature/torbrowser

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review&merge feature/torbrowser
Hi,

anonym wrote (02 May 2013 20:21:53 GMT) :
> [Sorry for breaking the threading, but my inbox was full so I didn't
> receive the mail I'm replying to and I couldn't dig up its message-id.]

I've added both threads to the References header, so hopefully they're
now merged.

I've fixed up your mailing-list subscription so that you now receive
email from the list again.

FTR, so that you know next time, on the ML archive page, you can
download monthly archives as "Gzip'd Text":
https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/ -- these contain
Message-Id etc.

Should be alright now :)

> Bad:
> * Commit 6629701 breaks the Unsafe Browser. See attached patch for a fix.

Applied and pushed. Nice catch, thanks!

> Weird:
> * In the automated test suite unsafe-browser.feature obviously should
> fail due to the above, but it fails even earlier then expected; the "(as
> clearnet)" text in the window title isn't there any more, so sikuli
> can't even detect the window. This is nothing specific to the Unsafe
> Browser or even Iceweasel: try `gksu gedit`, or whatever. I couldn't
> find anything in our git log about us changing this explicitly, but
> maybe I didn't look deeply enough(?).

I would not be surprised if the hidepid option made it so metacity
cannot know what user is running this window. See todo/hidepid.

> This was not the case in Tails 0.17.2. Any way, we can easily fix
> this by just cropping away that part of the picture, and that can
> IMHO even be done after the merge.

Given you can test the result more easily than me, can you please do
the cropping first thing tomorrow, e.g. before I come up online to do
the prefs move?

This kind of late detection of issues motivates me more and more to
have a more or less automated run of our automated testsuite act as
a gatekeeper when we merge stuff in.

> intigeri wrote:
>> I had a quick look, and it seems that some (36) of the prefs we set in
>> /etc/iceweasel/pref/iceweasel.js are not applied. I haven't checked if
>> this is a regression against current devel or stable branches.
>>
>> I think we should just move all of our iceweasel.js prefs to
>> user_pref() set in /etc/iceweasel/profile/user.js, and be done with
>> it. It should work. Only drawback is that it makes it harder for users
>> to change their config, but IMHO this is rather a feature than a bug.
>>
>> If nobody objects, I'll do that, quickly test it, and merge for RC1
>> early tomorrow.

> I don't object. I guess this means I'm not gonna do the merge then.
> Well, I'll be around here pretty early tomorrow as well and help out
> with tests and review.

Awesome! I'll join you around 10AM CEST :)