[Tails-dev] GNOME proxy settings, again

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: intrigeri
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: tails-dev
Aihe: [Tails-dev] GNOME proxy settings, again
Hi,

a few days ago, we've decided (todo/remove_GNOME_proxy_settings__63__)
to keep GNOME proxy settings, and add a dedicated isolated Tor
SOCKSPort for GNOME applications.

So, kolohe trusted us on that one and nicely implemented it today:

- ticket: todo/remove_GNOME_proxy_settings__63__
- remote: https://github.com/kolohe/amnesia.git
- branch: add_dedicated_SocksPort_for_GNOME_proxy

I've reviewed this branch, looks sane, merged into experimental.

However, I'm not asking for it to be merged into devel, since what
I've noticed when trying to find a way to test this change was a bit
discouraging:

  - "Connect to server" -> SSH runs /usr/bin/ssh which goes its own way.
  - "Connect to server" -> FTP does not work (apparently the proxy
    settings are not obeyed by the "Connect to server" feature, and
    our firewall does its job as a safety net and drops the packets).
  - GNOME panel weather connections
    (todo/prevent_gweather_from_disclosing_customized_location) are
    done over HTTP and go through Polipo

So, what GNOME application shipped in Tails uses the configured FTP or
SOCKS proxy?

I'm now tempted to just drop these proxy settings ASAP in the 0.18 dev
cycle, and see what breaks (my bet is that nothing breaks).
As a bonus, if we also remove the HTTP proxy, then we'll have fixed
todo/prevent_gweather_from_disclosing_customized_location for free.

What do you think?