Re: [Tails-dev] build experiences

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: adrelanos
À: The Tails public development discussion list
Sujet: Re: [Tails-dev] build experiences
intrigeri:
> hi,
>
> adrelanos wrote (04 Apr 2013 21:55:17 GMT) :
>> Running the build instructions inside Virtual Box is unsupported?
>
> I believe you're the first person who tries to use our Vagrant basebox
> inside VirtualBox, which effectively means setting up
> nested VirtualBox.
>
> We obviously can't pretend we support things we've never tried
> ourselves, but once someone makes it work, I don't see why we would
> call it unsupported. So, it probably only needs someone who makes it
> work and maintains it. Given you're the first potential user of this
> setup that we hear about, this someone would probably be you :)

> But... is nested virtualization supported by VirtualBox at all?

I used to use it quite frequently and it worked well. - Although that's
only true for nested VMs with 32 bit.

I haven't found any positive nor negative reports about nested VMs with
64 bit. From Virtual Box trac feature request somewhere I know, that
Virtual Box doesn't virtualize VT-X/AMD-V. 64 bit os's seem to depend on
that feature. - My own 64 bit VM (non-nested) doesn't boot without the
VT-X/AMD-V setting checked. So I am fairly certain, that 64 bit nested
VMs is a lost cause.

>> Next thing I tried was building without rake inside Virtual Box with
>> Debian Wheezy 64 bit. That didn't work either. And I guess, that isn't
>> supported either?
>
> As documented [1] "you need a running Debian Squeeze system" (and
> then, live-build 2.x, while your failed build log indicates you're
> trying to build with live-build 3.x, which is WIP [2]).
>
> [1] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/build/#index2h1
> [2] https://tails.boum.org/todo/live-build_3.x/

I see.

>> My options for building Tails probable boil down to getting Squeeze or
>> waiting for Wheezy support? Is Wheezy support for the build environment
>> planed?
>
> See above. Help is welcome for the migration to live-build 3.x.

It's a bit to heavy for me. I try to get the Squeeze build environment
up and try to get a few smaller patches merged.