Re: [Tails-dev] Please review & merge bugfix/less-aggressive…

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Maxim Kammerer
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: The Tails public development discussion list
Aihe: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review & merge bugfix/less-aggressive-hard-disk-APM-on-AC
On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> But well, I guess Maxim will come out with a few bug reports that
> clearly show that -B 254 is harmful ;)

Well, if you insist…
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/59695/comments/286

For some reason this comment doesn't show up in the shorter bug URL
that you posted originally — it is linked from here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hdparm/+bug/172287

So unless Tails runs a smartctl daemon (Liberté does — and note that
you need to be careful for smartctl to not wake up drives from standby
when it decides to poll them), -B254 can be problematic as well. Note
also that -B255 is still problematic for some drives — I remembered
that it was so previously, but wrongly figured out from a special case
for 255 in hdparm sources that it was a fix for the issue.

The problem is that -B254 will probably prevent drive spindown for
most people, so it's a tradeoff, and I don't think that one or even
several reports from users warrant turning power management off,
especially for a live distribution that does not require a hard drive.
Those users should file bugs against respective kernel modules. People
probably experience issues due to wireless power saving, etc., as well
— there is no one setting for any device that makes everyone happy.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte