Re: [Tails-dev] Let's share username, /etc/hostname and /et…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Let's share username, /etc/hostname and /etc/host among all anonymity distributions
On 21/01/13 16:25, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> adrelanos wrote (20 Jan 2013 10:41:45 GMT) :
>> Wouldn't it be a fine (and easy to implement) improvement to set those
>> values to a shared value telling as little as possible?
>
> I agree. Thanks for proposing it.
>
> Adding Maxim to the list of recipients (Maxim: in case you don't read
> tails-dev anymore, please go read the email I'm replying to in the
> list archives :)
>
>> Proposal:
>> Tails, Whonix, Liberte Linux and whoever wants to join uses:
>
>> username: user
>
> ACK
>
>> /etc/hostname: user
>> /etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1 user.localdomain user
>
> The use of "user" as a hostname seems totally counter-intuitive to me.
> How about using "host" or "hostname" instead?
>
> My proposal would then be:
>
> username: user
> /etc/hostname: host
> /etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1 host.localdomain host

Makes sense for me too. But the switch will need to be well thought and
justified because it will temporarily split the anonymity sets in case
of leaks for people with older versions.

I guess that was the argument not to change 'amnesia' for 'tails' when
the distro was renamed. But now that we have a sound argument that is
more than merely aesthetic it might be worth it.