Re: [Tails-dev] MAC Address changing problem

Autor: intrigeri
Para: tailshelper
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] MAC Address changing problem
Hi,

tailshelper@??? wrote (23 Jan 2013 01:34:10 GMT) :
> We cannot rely on Macchanger after OS boots up, because some routers
> detect our MAC address when the system boots. So, the solution would be to
> randomize the MAC address ASAP during the boot, and have the option (on
> the greeting screen) to change MAC address back to default. THat way we
> could avoid having the rogue routers detecting us, while also having the
> option to have everything back to normal so we could login to some wifi
> network that applies restrictions on which MAC address are allowed to
> access or not.

I think this makes sense, and would be sane defaults for Wi-Fi
adapters. I'm editing todo/macchanger to make it clear the Wi-Fi
usecase is special, with a pointer to this discussion.

What do other think?

Can we agree on this (quoting what I just added to the ticket):

The Wi-Fi usecase is a bit different: the public / private computer
distinction does not make sense, but there are two main situations:

  1. Some Wi-Fi networks restrict access to a list of known MAC
     addresses, so in this case, the user of a known computer wants to
     use their real MAC address.
  2. In most (all?) other cases, we want to anonymize the MAC address.

?

> It's so simple I believe someone must have thought about it before, but I
> didn't find anything about it on the documentation, so... here it is.

If we have thought of it previously, then I did forget.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

> I would really like to have it implemented (for trials at least) in the
> next version =)

So would I. Are you volunteering?

> IN my experience, it would help tails/tor users anonimaty a lot =)

I agree. One more reason for you to volunteer? :)