Re: [Tails-dev] Tails

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: intrigeri
To: johnaberforth
Betreff: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails
Hi,

johnaberforth@??? wrote (15 Dec 2012 10:06:49 GMT) :
> first time i tried tails today and i loved it, nice and clean
> working environment.

I'm happy to read this :)

> But the happy journey had a short ending. I could not use
> countermail ( www.countermail.com) , due to lack of java and i could
> simply not manage to install it.

Are you aware of a way to safely run Java applets in the context
of Tails?

> I could also neither log out,

This is not supported, sorry. What's the actual usecase, compared to
shutting down the system? (Considering Tails boots quite fast, as you
reported :)

> lock the system,

You may be glad to learn that this is being worked on:
https://tails.boum.org/todo/screen_locker/

> hibernate

This is not possible on a system whose purpose is to *not* write
anything on disk by default.

> or sleep the computer.

I admit I've never thought of this one.

> My dream OS would boot up with java and support for openvpn so
> i dont have to rely on TOR. Tor is slower and has its disadvantages.
> You should give the user the possiblity to use openvpn.

Tails is about anonymity, and one-hop-proxy based solutions, such as
VPN ones, are very feable in this area.

We do aim at implementing some VPN support, though, for some specific
usecases where it makes sense:
https://tails.boum.org/todo/vpn_support/

> This could be a feauture for Tails, that it selfexpandes and copies
> some jibberish till the drive its on is full.

I'm not sure I understood your point well, but Tails has some support
for persistence: https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/

> Also a turn on/off function for those who wish to use it.

What do you mean, exactly?