Re: [Tails-dev] Please review (and merge?) feature/better_po…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review (and merge?) feature/better_power_off_button
hi,

anonym wrote (21 Nov 2012 13:21:46 GMT) :
> An alternative would be to revert commit 7e0de9c ("Make the default user
> password-less.") and instead have Tails Greeter make the amnesia user
> password-less in case an administrative password isn't set. This would
> work as expected, and can easily be simulated by setting a root password
> (using rootpw= on the kernel cmdline) and switching out to a console and
> running `passwd -d amnesia` right before clicking "Login" in Tails Greeter.

> However, if X restarts after the amnesia user's password has been
> deleted (so we didn't set an administrative password), we'd be back in
> the same situation; Tails Greeter would be skipped, and any options
> (e.g. locale) selected in it the previous time wouldn't be selected this
> time.

> OTOH I suppose we assume X restarts won't happen, so it's not a big
> issue.

My 2cts: I restart X a few times a day when developing and quickly
testing stuff, to save the time of full reboots, before I test "for
real" with a clean build + clean boot. My feeling is that this
sometimes happens in situations when a VM snapshot is not practical.
So, I'd rather see this kept possible.

> That said, I'd rather have a proper solution, not a workaround, that
> builds on keeping commit 7e0de9c.

+1